Weekdays hunt

Snowshoes

I still had some holiday time left and figured this week would be as good as any to take off.
My plans were to coyote hunt in the morning, getting 1-2, possibly 3 sets in.
Not hunting all day hard, as I have some other projects needing my attention.(Friday might be the exception)

Monday Dec.17
Went back to the area of the poultry farm this morning to see if I could find a coyote or two(same area as last Saturday). The breeze was from the southwest which was perfect for where I wanted to sit. Parked the truck in a ravine to north this time around instead of on an approach to the east. From there I walked to the southwest towards a north/south fence line. On Saturday I seen a couple coyotes headed north along the fence line and that would be where I would sit today. For the last 100 yards of my trek, I was following a well packed coyote trail that ran along the fence. Not only encouraging to see such a well packed trail, it did make the walk easier.
Got set up in front of a thick willow bush and it wasn’t long before seeing four coyotes on the manure piles east of the barns. A few minutes later I see another coyote cutting across the field to the west of me. Being a few minutes before legal shooting light, this coyote is safe but I'm not worried as I expect more coyotes to venture past in the next half hour or so.
The coyotes don’t disappoint, as I have a pair coming up the trail towards me within 20 minutes. A bark to stop the lead dog is followed with a 60 yard shot which puts it on the ground. The other coyote spins around and it’s gone.
Wasn't to long before I see 5 other coyotes leaving the area to the south. Sat for another half hour but nothing else ventured my direction.
Drag the coyote to a spot where I can get the truck to. Fifteen minutes later I pull up and it dawned on me, that I forgot to take a picture of where I dropped the coyote. Took an "after the fact" picture before loading it up.

Next spot is two miles straight north. I have always wanted to try calling this area but for some reason never got around to it. Parked the truck in a low spot and from there walked into an area with a series of slough bottoms and brush. Looked the area over and realized I didn't like where I was located. Walked back to the truck and left the area, to leave this area for another time.
From there I head 3 miles northeast to a slough bottom where I shot a double a few weeks back. Went through a series of different calls but never seen any coyotes. A half mile away, there was a tractor loading round bales on a truck which may have had the coyotes a little leery.

Tuesday Dec.18
This morning was very similar weather conditions to yesterday. At first light I am already sitting in a spot where I can watch the same area of the poultry barns as yesterday. I set up to the southeast of the farm today and once again I see a total of five coyotes but luck was on their side this go around. Never had a decent opportunity for a shot and my stalk on one was a total bust also.
From there I head two miles west and a half mile south to an area I haven’t called for a couple years. I do see a coyote on my drive but the wind was wrong to try calling this one.
I arrive at my call location and I’m very disappointed with what I see. Almost all the small bush patches have been brushed. A few years back, my son and called in a group of 5 and we managed to take 2 here. It was a much colder morning with considerably more trees back then.
Still a few small bush patches and a fair bit of pasture land with a large slough in the center. Tried calling the area but to no avail.
From there I drove a mile east and 3 miles north to a fairly large bush patch that also has a few small sloughs in the center.
My son and I tried calling this spot 3 years ago but had no luck. I liked the look of the area and figured it deserved another try.
Parked on an approach and as I am getting my gear together, I hear a coyote give a few short howls to the west of me. My heart beat now increases with anticipation of calling a coyote in . I walk a quarter mile west and set up with some brush behind me and a large popular tree at my back. I am set up looking west to southwest.

Start off with a couple howls using the diaphragm reed but get no answer. Then a few minutes later I switch to distress cries using the bite call but still no sightings.
Last hope is to try some yelps with the diaphragm reed and that produces a coyote along a fence to the northwest. A quick range shows 382 yards.
I’m set up perfectly as the sun is in the coyotes eyes and I can see its straining to see that phantom coyote on the flat between us.
I give some more yelps and the coyote comes 20 yards closer and I keep using this technique to get the coyote closer & closer. The coyote covers a fair bit of ground but then sits down,leaving only it's head visible. Yelps were no longer working so I try the bite call again but that doesn’t work either. I try lip squeaks and that gets the coyote on the move again. Two more series of lip squeaks brings the coyote much closer but once again it decides to sit down and look the area over. I range the coyote at 204 yards and the next move is to put the crosshairs on its chest. A touch of the trigger sends a bullet to its target. Nice female coyote ( on the trail & facing the direction it came from).
[/

Not getting a lot of coyotes on my last couple outings but I am thankful to not come home empty handed

This post and several of the follow-ups are

Nice story, great read, always enjoy the pics too
smile.gif

Great story to read and again thanks for the picture to look at. At least you have some snow on the ground, we had 40 degree days and there is no snow on ground, water on top of lakes and river. Sucks with a full moon. But we can live thru yours and others story on this forum. Thanks

Originally Posted By: fratriNice story, great read, always enjoy the pics too
smile.gif

Seems like I almost spend as much time writing about the events as the actual hunt, lol
Originally Posted By: Yotarunnernice. im always amazed at how many dogs you see during a day.
I'm starting to get the impression the coyotes are getting sick of seeing me all the time also
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: lockrotorGreat story to read and again thanks for the picture to look at. At least you have some snow on the ground, we had 40 degree days and there is no snow on ground, water on top of lakes and river. Sucks with a full moon. But we can live thru yours and others story on this forum. Thanks
We had a good snow cover but warm weather melted a lot of it. Now its crusted and unless there is a good wind, it does make stalking dogs tough.

Wednesday Dec. 19th
It was another fine morning to be out hunting but it would prove to be a day of both mistakes and success.
First location: I walk into one of my favorite spots which consists of numerous sloughs and coyote trails. Sat for a half hour but never seen anything across the vast landscape, so decided to pack up and leave.
Next spot, I park half way between a gravel pit to the north and a large block of bush to the south. I shot a coyote a few weeks back at the south location and today the plan was to call both locations.
To hide my approach, I follow a treed fence line a quarter mile north before taking a game trail through the trees to the other side. Before exiting the trees, I can see two blonde objects sitting on top a dirt pile. The binoculars prove it to be two coyotes soaking up the first rays of sunshine and I get a range of 409 yards on them. I slowly move roughly 20 yards through the trees to a spot where I thought I would have a good view. After sitting down, I notice there is a slight ridge roughly 80 yards out that obscures my view.(Mistake # 1)
Right then the coyotes decide to trot down the dirt pile and I totally lose sight of them. Not knowing what direction they may be headed, I dare not move locations. I go straight to yelps using the diaphragm reed and hope for the best.
Unknown to me, there was a draw that led from the dirt piles to the fence line which actually ran close to me.
I’m scanning the ridge line in-front of me, when I suddenly catch movement to my right. I have two coyotes a mere 30 yards away trotting straight in. Swing the gun over which stops both of them but I can’t find them in the scope. The scope was still zoomed up to 22X from yesterday (mistake #2) They trot a few yards and I bark them to a stop and this time I have fur in the scopes crosshairs. Go to pull the trigger and the safety is still on (mistake #3). Well they have seen enough and kick the afterburners in.......
Disgusted with myself for blowing a golden opportunity, I pack up and head south to the other location. Retrace my tracks along the fence line to where the truck is parked and then continue walking another quarter mile south.
Set up on the east side of the fence line with the bush and sloughs to the south.

Start off with the bite call and within seconds I get glimpses of a coyote on the other side of the fence line. The coyote is looking hard for the source of the sound as it trots to the south. I can’t get a shot off due to trees, so I let this coyote cover 60 yards to get over the cut-bank.
I get right back on the bite call but the coyote doesn’t show. Some yelps are next which produces a much bigger coyote to the southeast. This coyote trots into the field but stops to look the situation over. I dare not let this coyote travel much further north as it likely would catch my scent. I get a range of 240 yards and raise the crosshairs higher up on the shoulder. Steady my breathing before the finger is on the trigger. The shot flies true as I watch the coyote do a couple 360‘s before tearing off towards the trees. By the way the coyote was running, I could tell it wouldn’t make it far.
Found the coyote piled up 10 yards into the trees. A well furred big male.

After picking the coyote up I head for another bush patch & slough bottom a couple miles away. Park the truck on a lease road and once again find myself walking down a treed fence line. Work my way to the other side of the fence line and see something at the edge of the trees, I go for the binoculars but realize I left them in the truck (took them off to load the coyote...... forgetting the bino’s in the truck, mistake #4)
I can tell its a coyote but before I can get set up, it slowly walks into the trees. Quickly I give some lower volume whimpers with the bite call to hopefully bring it into the open field..... nothing. Try the bite call again, followed a bit later with yelps. Still nothing came out of the bush so I call defeat! Slowly stood up and there’s the coyote sitting on the ice looking my way. I slowly moved a few feet to the right in order to use a tree trunk to lean against. I have two issues now to deal with, the first being the coyote is now aware of my presence. The second issue, a willow bush that’s in-front of the coyote. I guess the yardage at 175 yards and then tried threading a bullet through the far willow branches. My untouched target trots a few yards before taking a last look before leaving the area.
The coyote was sitting on the ice (in the center of the picture) and just behind that small willow bush.

Back to the truck and drive a half mile south where I would repeat the whole process at another bush/slough.
Set up once again on a fence line and this time around, I do have the rangefinder binoculars with. Take a few ranges and glass the area before pulling out the bite call. I’m only a few seconds into my calling when a coyote trots into the field. Scope is already zoomed down, the safety has now been taken off, followed by a 101 yard shot to the chest. Coyote number 30 is down. A decent looking female.

Tomorrow will be a short hunt as I have an appointment in the city @ 11:30 a.m. (hour and half drive to get there)
Now to put the ole “thinking cap” on and figure out where to go for a short hunt!

You are living the life. Keep the stories coming, they are as close to the real thing as many of us will get. You see more coyotes in a day than we see around here in a year. Our weather is a bit warmer though.

Originally Posted By: whyYou are living the life. Keep the stories coming, they are as close to the real thing as many of us will get. You see more coyotes in a day than we see around here in a year. Our weather is a bit warmer though.
I do enjoy the area and coyote hunting does help shorten up the winters.
Originally Posted By: fratriAnother great hunt and story... Thank you
Thank's fratri
Originally Posted By: lockrotorCongrats to a very eventful day of hunting. Even with a few bumps in the road.
Thank you lockrotor, All these years coyote hunting and still learning by mistakes lol

Thursday Dec. 20th; Only had time for one quick stand and I chose a spot where I’ve had pretty good success in past hunts. Walked a quarter mile from the truck to a spot where I could overlook a valley that may hold a coyote or two. Set up with a clump of weeds at my back and 100 feet below me, was a bench that is roughly 80 yards wide. The valley floor is another couple hundred feet below the bench. From this spot I can see anything coming from on top (along the fence) or the bench below me. A good spot but lacking coyotes this go around.

Friday Dec.21st; I could have stayed in bed but chose to ignore the 55 mph wind warnings that had been issued for our area. A cold front was moving in and I figured, what the heck, I’ll still go out and try calling some sheltered areas.
First spot I head for, is where I blew the chance at a pair of coyotes on Wednesday. Some coyote redemption was in order.
Sheltered by the trees, the walk down that same fence line was rather enjoyable this morning. However the dirt pile I picked to sit at, was anything but sheltered! Set up with a slough between me and a long stretch of bush.

With this kind of wind, I have attached one of my loudest jackrabbit double reed calls to the lanyard. Due to sitting on a slope, I needed to extend the bi-pod legs accordingly. Take some ranges of various landmarks before letting fly with the jackrabbit call. Within the first few seconds of using this call, I’m reminded at how loud it is and confident that it’s overriding the wind. Well as it turned out, I didn’t need to reach the sound out very far as a coyote trots from the cattails and onto the ice. The coyote is on my off-side and it takes a bit of adjusting to get the rifle into position. The coyote crosses the ice and then climbs atop a small dirt pile. I see another coyote at the far end of the slough also coming in but with this one standing broadside and close, that is where the crosshairs are placed. A shot to the chest drops the 58 yard coyote. The other coyote wasted no time leaving the area.

The coyote I shot, had to of been bedded in the nearby cattails. The wind was my friend on this stand, otherwise those keen ears would have picked up my approaching footsteps.
Even with multiple layers of clothing on, the wind had worked it’s through and I knew any more stands would need to be better sheltered.
I did two more stands where I was on the downwind side of some brush but the coyotes must have been tucked away in a good snoozing spot and not willing to venture out.
The second stand:

The third and final stand:

Well that brings an end to my weekday coyote hunting. I had hoped to bag more coyotes but in all reality, getting out and enjoying the great outdoors is what it’s all about! (the 5 coyotes were a definite bonus though)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lockrotorThat last coyote looks great in color, and what beautiful looking country to hunt. Have a Merry Christmas.
Thank you lockrotor and a Merry Christmas to you!

You are doing the them damage SS . The bi-pod you are using does it attach in any way to the sling swivel stud ? I see it has a saddle on the top .

Originally Posted By: LodgepoleYou are doing the them damage SS . The bi-pod you are using does it attach in any way to the sling swivel stud ? I see it has a saddle on the top .
The bi-pod is a Bog Gear, Red Legged Devil. Although the picture does look like the bi-pod is attached, it actually doesn't attach.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Runnin'HardGreat looking country! Nice job....your coyotes are all good looking animals!
Normally the countryside looks decent enough but today was the exception with blizzard whiteout conditions and a windchill of -30F. However the cold weather does make for some nice heavy fur coat which is a real bonus.

Back